Here’s what else you need to know to Start your week smart.
• With Mississippi’s Pearl River now expected to peak earlier than originally expected, threatening to flood streets and seep into homes in the next 48 hours, Jackson’s mayor urges residents to ‘get out now’ .
• Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines has sent a letter to the chairs of the House Intelligence and Oversight Committee, saying the intelligence community is conducting a damage assessment of documents seized from the home of former President Donald Trump at Mar-a-Lago, according to a letter obtained by CNN.
• At least 32 people have died and 159 have been injured in violent clashes between rival Libyan militias across the country’s capital, Tripoli, according to an update from the country’s health ministry.
• Two US Navy warships entered the Taiwan Strait in what is the first US naval transit of the waterway since US-China tensions rose this month during a visit to the island of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
• Moderna on Friday filed patent infringement lawsuits against Pfizer and BioNTech “for infringing patents essential to (its) mRNA technology platform” used to develop its Covid-19 vaccine, the company said in a statement. Press.
The week ahead
NASA’s Artemis I mission to the moon is scheduled to launch Monday morning, with backup launch windows on September 2 and 5. It’s been nearly 50 years since the last Apollo astronauts ventured to the lunar surface, and this uncrewed mission is setting the stage for humans to make the journey to 2024 and 2025 aboard Artemis II and of Artemis III.
August 30 is the International Day of Missing Persons, a day to remember the hundreds of thousands of people who have gone missing around the world due to armed conflict, violence, disasters and migration.
August 31 is the 25th anniversary of the death of Princess Diana, who died in a car accident in Paris in 1997 with her boyfriend, Dodi Fayed, and her driver, Henri Paul. Her son, Prince Harry, recently shared his hopes for how his mother’s legacy would be commemorated.
A federal judge has scheduled a hearing to consider Donald Trump’s request for a “special master” to oversee the FBI’s review of evidence seized at Mar-a-Lago. In doing so, the court informed the parties that it had a “preliminary intent” to appoint the Special Master, a third-party attorney who would screen confidential documents seized during the search.
And although your calendar indicates that we are still three weeks away from the arrival of autumn, September 1st is the first day of weather drop in the Northern Hemisphere. Click here to find out why.
The first Friday of September means that we receive the monthly employment report for August. Expectations are mixed given that July’s report was an unexpected explosion, with the economy adding 528,000 jobs, more than double what economists expected.
It’s also the traditional getaway day for many heading into Labor Day weekend.
Want more than 5 things?
The CNN 5 Things team has a new podcast! To listen A thing with host David Rind every Sunday to hear about the biggest story of the week and why it matters. This week, he chats with CNN’s chief international correspondent, Clarissa Ward, about life in Afghanistan, a year after the Taliban took power. Listen now.
Pictures of the week
Discover more moving, fascinating and stimulating images of the week which was organized by CNN Photos.
What’s Happening in Entertainment
MTV Video Music Awards
Nicki Minaj, Jack Harlow and LL Cool J are the emcees for tonight’s VMAs, which airs on MTV at 8 p.m. ET. Harlow, Lil Nas X and Kendrick Lamar lead the nominations with seven each. Doja Cat and Harry Styles are tied with six each. Viewers can expect performances from Bad Bunny, Lizzo, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Eminem & Snoop Dogg, among many others.
Return to Middle-earth
The Amazon Prime series “The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power” will be released on Friday. Amazon has invested hundreds of millions in this prequel to the JRR Tolkien series set thousands of years before the events of “The Hobbit” and “Lord of the Rings” trilogy, so expectations are high.
What happens in sports
The main draw of the US Open tennis tournament begins Monday in New York. It is the only Grand Slam tennis championship held in North America. The notable absentee from the draw is 21-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic, who has not been vaccinated against Covid-19 throughout the pandemic. Current US rules state that any non-US citizen must be fully vaccinated against the virus in order to receive a visa and enter the country.
It’s quiz time!
Take CNN’s weekly news quiz to see how much you remember from the week that was! So far, 30% of other quiz fans have answered eight or more questions correctly. How are you going to get out of this?
Play with me
“The video killed the radio star”
If you’re planning on watching the MTV Video Music Awards later tonight, here’s a look back at how it all started with the first video airing on the network in 1981. (Click here to watch)