Lynn’s GE Aviation receives billion dollar contract from US Navy

0



LYNN – The local GE Aviation plant has won a $ 99.75 million contract from the US Navy for logistics and repair support for aircraft engines.

The contract, which represents an option to extend an earlier 3-year contract and brings the total contract value to $ 1.09 billion, covers 17 components of the F414 aircraft engine. This engine powers the Boeing F / A-18 Super Hornet, a carrier-based combat aircraft, among others.

“The F414 is a critical engine for the Lynn site,” GE Aviation spokesperson Richard Gorham said. “We appreciate the confidence the US Navy has in us and the award of this contract. We are proud to power the Super Hornet platform and continue to play a key role in maintaining mission readiness.

The F414 engine was designed at the Lynn site and the plant produces some of its components, as well as assembly and testing. More than 1,750 engines have been manufactured, accumulating more than 5 million flight hours.

According to a Department of Defense statement, 99 percent of the work associated with the contract will take place in Lynn, with the remaining 1 percent in Jacksonville, Florida. The work is expected to be completed by August.

This contract is in addition to another awarded by the US Navy to GE in 2020 for the production of 48 F414 engines, the majority of this work (59%) taking place in Lynn.


Lynn’s GE Aviation receives billion dollar contract from US Navy – Itemlive: Itemlive




















Skip to main content



Economic news

GE Aviation obtains a contract of nearly a billion dollars with the US Navy for work on aircraft engines. (Julia Hopkins)





More Lynn Stories



Share.

Leave A Reply